Tamaka Shwasa is one of the five types of Shwasa Vaydhis described in Ayurved.
It is caused due to the vitiation of Vata and Kapha doshas in pitta sthana.
The Hetus or causes of this vitiation are
- Regularly having dry, cold, heavy to digest, incompatible food.
- Irregular intake of food ( having food at bizarre hours)
- Drinking unboiled, cold milk ( in the form of milkshakes, ice creams, etc.)
- Drinking cold water, cold drinks
- Regular intake of black gram, oily spicy food
- Exposure to cold ( A.C), travelling in cold weather
- Exposure to pollutants, pollens, smoke etc
- Suppression of natural urges. Few or all of these causes lead to vitiation of Vata and Kapha Dosha which get into Pitta Sthana and cause Shwasa.
- Signs and symptoms of Tamaka Shwasa
- Shortness of breath
- Tightness of chest
- Thick sputum
- These symptoms aggravate during the night and early morning.
- The patient gets some relief in sitting position and lying down worsens the breathlessness.
The treatment plan according to Ayurved is of two types: Shodhan and Shaman. Virechan or vaman is advised as per the patient’s condition. This is the detoxification treatment ( Shodhan). If the patient is not fit for detoxification, Shaman treatment or medicines to pacify the doshas are given.
The common medicines used to treat Asthma or Tamaka Shwasa are:
- Sitipaladi churna
- Trikatu churna
- Shwaskuthar ras
- Laxmivilas ras
- Shwaskasachintamani ras etc.
The herbs used in treating Asthma are:
- Pushkarmoola etc.
Ayurved has a unique treatment branch called Rasayan Therapy which increases the immunity of the person.This further helps to protect the person from recurrent infections which are the risk factors. Chyavanprash is the most known of these rasayan medicines. A medicine prepared from Pippali or Piper longum is especially advised as rasayan in patients with Chronic Respiratory diseases including Asthma.
The do’s and dont’s for Tamaka Shwasa
- Regular use of garlic, turmeric, black pepper and ginger in day to day cooking.
- Always drink luke warm water
- Include Godhuma (wheat), Old rice, Mudga (green gram), Kulattha (Horse gram), Yava (barley), Patola (snake gourd) in meals.
- Regular practice of Pranayam.
- Avoid all things mentioned in the causative factors.
- Avoid eating curd, fish, sour fruits, and canned food products
All the medicines mentioned, should be taken only on the advice of Ayurved doctor.
Dr Aditi Gadgil
Somaiya Ayurveda Centre