Prevention / Delaying progression of Osteoarthritis
- Weight checks
- Within BMI limits of 18.5 – 25.
- Regular exercise maintains a good joint range and mobility; especially non-contact sports like swimming / cycling.
- Elderly should avoid squatting and sitting crossed legged
- Avoid injuries
- If present, get them treated at the earliest.
- Adequate rest after strenuous workouts
- Drink lots of water
- Balanced diet & diet rich in omega-3-fatty acids
- Source: fish oil/ olive oil/soya bean oil.
- Use of correct footwear
- For walking /running/jogging.
- Avoid walking on uneven surfaces.
- Avoid Indian style toilets & use western style commodes.
Dr Sameer Mansukhani,
Consultant Joint Replacement Surgeon,
K J Somaiya Hospital- Super Specialty Centre